Saturday, December 28, 2013

So Scrumptious Saturday: Roasted Orange Cauliflower

Cauliflowers are available year round in CA but are best in the fall/winter months. I don't usually find orange cauliflower, winter month or not, so when I saw it this week, I picked one up. My youngest son calls this an alien cauliflower. That picky eater is more likely to eat things when he is truly intrigued like this. So at our house, the special color helps. 



Orange cauliflowers are a true variety and are a non-GMO product. They are rich in beta-carotene. The feel and consistency is the same and in my opinion, it tastes the same as well. For an easy side dish, try roasting the cauliflower. Chop the cauliflower into bite sized pieces. Toss the cauliflower, EVOO, minced garlic and some pepper in a big ziplock bag. Pour all the contents out on a baking sheet and roast it in the oven for about 15 mins. I like to char it a little because it brings out a nutty flavor. Sometimes I will sprinkle some low fat shredded monterey jack or parmesan cheese on it for the kids, right before it is fully cooked.

Have you ever tried orange cauliflowers? What about purple? How do you guys prepare it? 

1 comment:

  1. I do cauliflower the same way...it is so good! I can pretty much finish a whole head to myself. Oh wait...is that not good?

    ReplyDelete