Monday, February 10, 2014

#FlatBellyChallenge


Last month I tried @nataliejillfit's #FlatBellyChallenge and it was intense!  Workouts are limitless. And before @nataliejillfit's #FlatBellyChallenge I had no idea that there were so many different ab exercises. To be honest, it was only about 4 months ago when I started really doing ab exercises. I always avoided doing them before that. I'm sure it had to do with thinking that sit-ups and the ab machine were the only two ab exercises I knew. But also, I knew that it was my weakest area. Instead of working on it, I avoided it. But not anymore! Once I was introduced to some exercises I could do that helped build and strengthen my core I didn't feel it was impossible anymore. Yes, it was tough. Yes, I wanted to give up. But, I didn't and I got over that ugly hump of thinking I couldn't do it. I'm surprised of how far I've come overall, but also in just my core strength.This was definitely fun, but very challenging. A lot of the ab exercises were new to me. At the end of the week I felt great!! Sore, but great! I was able to see a small difference in my mid-section. I will continue to incorporate these exercises in my workouts. And in doing that, I'm sure I will see even more of a change. My journey continues ;) Thanks so much for putting this challenge together mama!! You rock!!




#FlatBellyChallenge Day 1: 
1. Planks- keep your core tight and focus on keeping your back straight to avoid that "C" curve in that lower back. Tuck your pelvis UNDER to avoid lower back pain and to strengthen that core. 
2. Cheek to Cheek Planks- a form of plank variation rotating your hips from side to side keeping your core tight 
3. “Up Up Down Downs”- switch back and forth between plank and push up position keeping your core tight 
4. Plank Knee Tucks - alternate side to side bringing your knee to your chest Have fun mamas!!




#FlatBellyChallenge Day 2: 
1. Side Plank- Leaning on your forearm, keep your core tight and your hips off the floor 
2. Side Plank Dips- Holding the side plank position, dip your hip towards the floor and back up holding your core tight 
3. Side Plank Knee Lifts- in the side plank position, tuck your knee to your elbow
 4. Side Plank Tucks- holding the side plank position, use your free hand to reach through the space between your body and the floor Give it a shot mamas!!!



#FlatBellyChallenge Day 3: 1. Toe Touch Pike- laying on your back, keeping your legs and arms straight, bring your hands to your toes engaging your core 
2. Reverse Crunch Booty Lifts - keeping your legs straight, point your toes and lift your booty off the floor pulsing your toes towards the ceiling. Keep the c curve in your lower back FLAT…pushing it into the ground 
3. Flutter Kicks- keeping your legs straight, point your toes and cross your feet one over another back and forth to emulate a "flutter" . AGAIN Keep the c curve in your lower back FLAT…pushing it into the ground 
4. Windshield Wipers- bending at the waist, keep your legs straight and "wipe" your legs from side to side like a wind shield wiper • Ab Shimmies- put your hands on the floor and reach towards your feet from side to side


#FlatBellyChallenge Day 4: 
1. Superman Walk Outs- start from standing up and walk yourself out to a plank position with one last "reach", walk yourself up and then switch sides 
2. Side Plank Kick and Reach- hold a side plank, lift your leg, lift your arm and hold 
3. Inch Worm Crawls- much like the super man walk outs, start standing, walk yourself out with your hands and then walk your feet to your hands, repeat 
4. Plank Tucks- in a plank position, jump and tuck your legs underneath you and jump back out, repeat Let's keep it going mamas!!!!



#FlatBellyChallenge Day 5: 
1. Ab Lean Backs: on your knees, keeping your core engaged and your arms out in front of you, lean back 
2. Plank Fly Kicks- hold a plank and kick your leg back and tuck it in to your chest, repeat on both sides (sidenote: I'm showing an example of a modified version) 
3. Mountain Climbers- hold a plank position and "run" , alternate tucking your feet into your chest 
4. Low Bicycles- lay on your back, keep your core engaged and focus on keeping your back flat to the floor, getting rid of the "C" curve, alternate bringing opposite knees to your chest








1 comment: