Wednesday, July 17, 2013

#GetItGirl Wednesday: Training, Running Gear, and Updates

 Have you signed up for any races recently?  Signing up for a race is a great way to work towards an overall goal.  Having a pending date that you know you have to be ready by, keeps you on your toes.  It also is a concrete goal and accomplishment.  Having goals of say "Get healthy" or "lose 10lbs" or "keep steady at your current weight" are great goals but they really are very vague and generalized.  How are you going to get to these BIG goals?  Be specific, write it down, make a checklist of little things you can accomplish to get to the big goal.  Adding a race could be one of those things.  It doesn't matter how long the race is...5k, 10k, half/full marathon.  Just sign up and then get out there and start training.

I am currently training for my fourth half marathon this year.  This time around, I'm trying a new training plan.  I've only been running for about a year and a half and I'm still trying to figure out what best works for me.  I've had a lot of luck with Hal Higdon's plans but out of curiosity, I've wanted to try other plans.  I've used the Runner's World/SmartCoach plan once; this one was nice because it let me be flexible for how many days a week I wanted to train.  Out of the two, I prefer Hal Higdon.  This time around, I'm trying the Jeff Galloway plan.  My goal is to get back to near what my half PR is if not beat that time.  I'll let you guys know if the Jeff Galloway plan helped once I finish my training in August.

Last weekend's long run called for a straight half marathon.  None of the half marathon training plans I've tried in the past had me go further than 12 miles for my long runs.  I'm still a few weeks away from my race day and this schedule is going to make me go up to 17 miles for a long run before it's all over.  That is crazycakes.


I'm just going to put this all out there for you guys.  I'm not even close to being super fast but that's not what it's about for me.  As I've mentioned before, in Seattle, I came in at 2:20.  My PR is 2:12 which I've gotten twice (ugh. Getting two exact PR times is so annoying.).  My goal is to get that elusive 2:10.  This training run of 2:18 is good.  It gives me hope that I may get to my goal.  We'll see.  

Speaking of long runs, what do you guys bring with you?  What are your running gear essentials?  Running is an activity that you really don't need to invest too much money on.  Just tie those laces and head out the door...you don't really NEED anything else.  But there are a few things I like to have when I head out especially for long runs when I'm out there for 2+ hours.  Here's my list:


1. Shoes. (duh) I don't run in anything but my Asics Gel Nimbus'.  I'm usually in Nike gear head to toe except my shoes.  Love their clothes but my feet hate their shoes.  Too bad because Nike shoes are just the cutest little things.  Cute but not practical for me.
2. My trusty old Ipod
3. Yurbuds.
4. Hydration belt.  This is the one I use.  
5. Running fuel.  As far as what is available on the market (gu's, gels, blocks, etc) my stomach can't tolerate anything but the Sportbeans.  I like the lemon lime flavor.  I met someone who suggested I try real food like pretzels or nutter butter cookies.  Maybe I'll try that and write another post about running fuel.  
6. Visor/hat 
7. SPF 70 sunblock.
8. Nike Sportwatch + Nike sensor.  If the miles aren't logged in, the miles don't count.  Just kidding.  
9. Albuterol inhaler.  Who has asthma?  *raising hand*  

What's on your list?  What could you absolutely cannot run without? 

Just a quick update/reminder...

For those of you in the Bay Area, let us know if you're interested in joining us for a hike up Mission Peak in Fremont!  We'll message you the details as they are set in the next few weeks.  

No comments:

Post a Comment