Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Get It Girl Wednesday: San Francisco Mermaid Run 2013 Race Recap

When I think back at the Mermaid Run we did a week ago, the first thing that comes to mind are the AMAZING views.  I have completed a lot of races and there is no doubt in my mind that this course is in the top three of the most beautiful, most scenic courses I've ever ran.  I think that that alone is worth the price of registration!

But before I show you the pictures let's talk about the race.

The Fitness Mama team decided to register for the SF Mermaid Run (Sirena 10 mile) when some of us did not get past the SF Nike Women's Marathon Lottery Draw.  Since we wanted to do a race in the Fall, we found the Mermaid Run and registered right away.  The Mermaid Series puts on a lot of races, triathlons, and duathlons specifically geared towards women.  When I read their mission statement on their website, I knew this was the right race for #teamfitnessmama

Mermaid Series Mission Statement:
"Mermaid Series is building a welcoming community that inspires women from all backgrounds to uncover and realize their full potential.  Mermaid Series strives to serve as a catalyst for change in women's lives as they set and discover new goals for themselves in fitness and in life. By providing training, support, motivation and eco-friendly events we are committed to the pursuit of our participants healthy lifestyle.  Our events aim to provide an opportunity for a positive change while making each woman regardless of their ability feel welcome."

Fitness Mama is all about supporting and inspiring women in their fitness goals and so it was nice to find an event that also supports this.

After a few months of training and checking in on our Mama's who were doing the race, the event came quickly!  Before I knew it, it was time for bib pick up!

This race allowed for three different opportunities for bib pick up.  The Friday and Saturday before the race at different Sports Basement locations and then the morning of the race (this was highly discouraged by the event staff).  I went to the one on Friday in Sunnyvale and picked up a few bibs for our ladies.  The bib pick up situation was one of the only cons to this race.  I've been to MANY bib pick ups and sadly, this one was the worse ever.  :(  It was disorganized and the line was out of control and confusing as they zig zagged across eachother in a tiny room.  It could have been because I got there early, right when they opened.  But two hours later, the situation was the same.  And yes, I was there for nearly two hours.  I was so annoyed that I forgot to take pictures for the blog which I usually do at every race bib pick up.

Good news was that I did make it out alive, equipped and ready with our bibs, SUPER cute dri fit race tops, free mermaid athlete headbands and other freebies!




Sunday, November 10th was the day of the race.  I woke up at about 5:20 am for this 7am start time.  I was planning to get up earlier because I know how slow I move at that early hour but woke up at what I considered late.  I quickly got dressed, shoved some food in (banana + peanut butter as always) and my sister and I left Alameda at about 5:40.  We got to the SF Marina area right at 6am and the Marina Green parking lot was about half full.  This was a relief because I know how difficult parking can be here which is why we arrived an hour before start time.  As we sat in the parking lot, we watched the lot fill up to capacity in like 10 mins.  So just a head's up...if you plan to do this race next year, come early to get parking.  Otherwise you might find yourself parking a mile or more away.  The Marina Green parking lot is a half mile away from start.  This isn't really an issue for me because the event organizers did warn us repeatedly.

My sister and I arrived at the start/finish area and the place looked packed!  It was fun and lively...just what I need to wake me up for this race.  

My sister and I ready for the race.  Just to give you an idea of where this start/finish line is, you can kinda see the Palace of Fine Arts right behind/between us!
So the only other con that I have to report is the bathroom/porta-potty situation.  There just were not enough and the lines were really long.  The last thing you want to worry about is having to go pee right before a TEN MILE race.  :(


This above picture is the line at 6:50am.  You cannot even see the end of the line.  My sister and I were about 20 people from the front of the line when I took this picture.  Luckily we made it to the start at 7am with only minutes to spare.  Fitness Mama tip: If running this race, go to the bathroom at the Marina Green lot where you parked your car.  :)

Christelyn ran the 5k and her race start wasn't until 7:30am and so her arrival wasn't as early as mine.  But we were fortunate enough to meet up with her seconds before I started the 10 mile.  





My only picture at the start line and I got photobombed.  lol


As we stood at the start line, music was blaring and the Mermaid run ladies were doing a great job hyping everyone up for the Sirena 10 mile.


And then the race began.

Mile one was nice and flat.  I had a tough time warming up and I was feeling like this was going to be a LONG ten miles.  I just felt slow and tired and was feeling like I wanted to walk in the mere first mile!  I hate that feeling.  Truthfully, I had not trained the way I normally do for this race because of a busier than usual schedule at work plus I was going through some minor medical issues.  A week before the race, I was really still on the fence about doing the race at all because of these reasons.  But I REALLY wanted to run with my girls and see that Golden Gate Bridge so I went forward with it even though I felt unprepared.  I figured I can take it easy and not worry about my timing.

The volunteer event staff were plentiful at this first mile.  They held up some entertaining signs.  I didn't stop to take pictures but Christelyn did during her 5k.  




My sister and I LOVED this one.  :)
After the first mile the hills started.  And these were some serious hills.  Insane hills that were no joke and seemingly never ending.  We were just going up and down (it felt like mostly up!!! lol) for like two miles.  I was dying.  My sister was doing so well and she pushed me to go harder and not walk for a long time.  At one of the last hills, I just could not do it and ended up walking for a bit to conserve energy.

Once we hit mile 3, we were on the Golden Gate Bridge.  The bridge itself wasn't completely flat but the incline is nothing compared to what we just went through a mile ago.  And it wasn't until mile three that I finally found my stride and felt at ease.  I was able to relax into a rhythm, enjoy the scenery, and remember just why I LOVE running so much.  So so much.  <3  Because just a mile ago, I was cursing those hills!  I was glad to find that inner peace that running gives me and I was feeling like I could really do this without so much walking.

As you can see, the views are stunning.  Running this course really is something you HAVE to experience at least once in your life.  It is just beautiful.  



so glad to have experienced this course with my sister!
This is an out and back course.  Once you get to the Marin County side of the bridge, you get a much needed aid station then you turn around to go back.  When you turn around and look at the bridge and the city of San Francisco it kind of takes your breath away because it is just all so pretty.  Be sure to soak this all up and take it all in at this point if you do this course.  It was a perfect day.  No fog to cover the views!  

View from the Marin County side
As I mentioned before, I was able to find my happy place and do most of the rest of course easily.  On the way back, there were no more tough inclines so that also helped.  All we encountered were more beautiful, scenic views.  The last bit of the 10 mile course merged with the 10k and 5k courses.  I only took a few photos at this point but Christelyn was able to get some pictures in with some of our Mamas who were running with her.




At the end of the course, I don't know why I thought it was going to finish where it started.  Well it did.  Sort of.  But since I was thinking in my head that I was seconds away from finishing because I had the start line in view, I was hugely disappointed that the finish line was in a different spot.  After just running 10 miles, I was ready to be done but the course took me through a couple twists and turns before I can see the finish.  This was all mental and of course it was hard for me to focus after being disappointed.  lol.  It wasn't even that much of a difference of where the start and finish were but I was SO DONE!  You know that feeling where it seems you are just giving all you got?  I was at that point.  :)  I even said OUTLOUD ''where is this darn finish line?!" and thankfully a fellow mermaid cheered me on and said "it's just around the corner!  You're almost there!".  And she was right.  My sister and I crossed the finish and officially became 'Mermaid Athletes'!  

Us at the finish line







The atmosphere and the support during this race was unbelievable.  It felt similar to NWM but perhaps not as chaotic because it is smaller.  I would recommend this race to anyone especially if you have not experienced running over the beautiful Golden Gate Bridge.  Take the advice I listed above and you will have a great experience!  

Instead of big medals we got these SF Mermaid Run necklaces.  It was a nice change from the medals I usually get and they are so cute!
Damn it feels good to be a Gangster Mermaid!!!

                                 

Which race would YOU say was your most favorite course?  Why?   

2 comments:

  1. mental fitness
    - Zengar.com is an Industry Leader in Healthy Brain Workout, Fitness Program, Neurofeedback for ADHD, Brain Exercises, Neurocare, PTSD Disorder and Biofeedback Systems.

    ReplyDelete