Monday, August 26, 2013

Fitness Mamas Christelyn and Christina

Happy Monday fit fam!

I would like to start off this week by introducing my BEST FRIEND & FITNESS MAMA partner, CHRISTINA! She has been a regular contributor to this blog as well as helping me keep up all of our social media websites.  




"Fitness Mama" has evolved so much since I started on Instagram in September of 2012. I started Fitness Mama because I wanted to take note of my weight loss journey-my struggles and my accomplishments, while encouraging and motivating other mamas who needed a little motivation. In the spirit of wanting to further motivate and inspire women (and myself as I am SO inspired by all of your stories!), I started a Facebook page. This is where Christina came in because I quickly realized that 'Fitness Mama' was becoming an entity that I could no longer support on my own. I really needed help with keeping up all of the social media sites as well as keeping up a blog. Christina and I both are busy moms of two kids and so it helps that when I get too overwhelmed, she can continue to keep up with the posts on our social media sites and vice versa. This way, there really are no big chunks of time where you guys don't hear from 'Fitness Mama' and we both don't have to sacrifice too much time away from our families and fitness goals. Christina and I live and hour and half away from each other and the distance definitely makes things challenging but we both work hard to keep everything updated for you mamas.


This is the most recent picture we have taken together.  In the spirit of 'keeping it real' Fitness Mama meetings have to consist of play dates at the park.   We are definitely moms FIRST and foremost.


It’s true when they say that, “2 MINDS ARE BETTER THAN 1.” In this case, Christina has helped me remarkably by evolving Fitness Mama to what it is today. You may have seen her work with Get it Girl Wednesday’s and Fit Mama of the Week Friday’s! Together we've also streamlined the look of our Instagram feed; there is now a somewhat uniform look yet we try to continue to inspire! You can easily find our Instagram feed on the right hand side of this page if you scroll down.

Christina and I met in the summer of 1992. Christina is my dad's sister's husband's cousin's daughter. Does that make sense? Anyway, our families were very close. :) Our moms actually would go to the gym together when our families lived about 2 mins. from eachother; just a little tid bit that we both found ironic since our generation has taken it a step further with this blog. We both attended Chipman Middle School in Alameda. I remember her being a cheerleader and also playing tennis in high school. And at the time, I was the total opposite. I loved the performing arts- acting, dancing, and singing.  


Christina and I (and Denise!) sometime in the mid-90's.  Does anyone else have Perfect Studios pictures?  :)  I think it's a Bay Area thing?
Us in front of Lyon's (which is now Sushi House!) in Alameda...late 90's



Although my family moved a lot throughout the years, our friendship remained true. We played important roles in each other’s wedding as bridesmaids; we are God mothers to one another’s children. Outside of our husbands, we have always been each other's biggest source of support in one another’s goals/ passions.  








I was pregnant with Miyah.  My girls drove out to see me before I gave birth.  I ended up going into labor a few hours after they left!






We've spent more than a few crazy Halloweens together



Our birthdays are 12 days apart with New Year's landing right in the middle.  One year, we had a black and white NYE birthday party together.


I have to say, Christina is definitely a Fit Mama herself! She is a wife, mother of two boys, and a full-time pediatric RN. She is very involved in her kid’s school activities and sports. Just like our busy fit mamas out there, she makes it a priority to exercise and to prepare healthy meals for her family. She is a woman of many talents- creative, crafty, an amazing photographer and writer. A phenomenal woman to say the least! 


Team GIG at the Capitol City Run


Davis Moonlight Run

Dirty Girl Mud Run

Nike Women's Marathon 2012



Christina and I have always wanted to create a blog we can maintain together. We have in the past created a food blog together called Sugar Bomb and even spoke of creating health and beauty page called Glitter Bomb. Asking her to help me create a healthy lifestyle blog so we can incorporate all of our ideas along with our new love for staying fit was really the next natural step.


We all have that one friend.  Christina is mine and I'm hers.  haha.
Last year, around the time of the beginning of my weight loss journey, Christina and I, and a couple friends formed a running group called Team GIG (Team Get it Girl/Guy). We ran multiple events together and wanted to share our love for running to others. In return, we hoped to expand our group in the Sacramento and East Bay area. Christina and I have always wanted and NEEDED some kind of outlet to share our ideas and passions with others. That’s why I truly believe that this was meant for us to experience together.  


















Currently, we are in the midst of evolving Fitness Mama even more. We have a Fitness Mama website in the works and a few other surprises in store that we are extremely excited to share with you! In the meantime, continue to message us with questions or requests that you may have. We love the #fitfam community and support that you all bring! Thank you to all our Fit Mamas and a special thank you to my very own Fit Mama, Christina! Love you.

Fitness Mamas with our families at the Strawberry Festival a few years ago

5 comments:

  1. I have always wondered how you ladies met!! You guys are awesome!! So glad to be part of team GIG and call you ladies friends!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maria! You've always been one of our biggest supporters. I cannot tell you how much that means to us.

      Are you going to the hike on Saturday?

      Delete
    2. Thanks Maria! Ditto mama! I'm so very glad that xtina introduced us. Can't wait to see you for the Mermaid Run! Thank you for all your support!

      Delete
  2. Dearest xtelyn,

    This is the best blog post ever. ;) haha. Thank you so much for taking me along on this ride! None of this would be possible without you my dear. So proud of you.

    #letsdothis Because we have a ton of CRAZY ideas.

    Love, xtina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome xtina! I'm excited to see what else is in store for us... it's gonna be one fun & crazy ride ;) Xo

      Delete