Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Get It Girl Wednesday: Just Do You

Somewhere along your fitness journey you may come across people who wonder why you are doing what you are doing.

I know you know what I'm talking about.  You may have heard them say any one of the following (this list was compiled by our #fitfam community):

That's ALL you're eating?  A salad? (yes. with veggies, fruit, an avocado and protein! it's yummy!)
You are skinny enough already!
You are running FIVE miles today?!  And you're training for a 13.1 mile race?!  That's way too crazy for me.  Why would anyone want to do that?  (umm...I do. Thanks for your support!)
Are you sure you want to be lifting all those weights?  I don't lift weights because I don't want to look manly. (Fact: it is nearly impossible for women to build anywhere close to the amount of muscle mass men build due to our low testosterone levels.)
Oh I tried that diet.  That's NOT going to work.
You're going running AGAIN?  Aren't you afraid you're going to get arthritis or something?
I'd rather just eat whatever I want (and be overweight) and happy vs. always depriving myself of food. (And meanwhile, you, yourself didn't feel like you were being deprived!)
I would rather have a life than spend all my time in the gym.  (hmm...30 mins. a day is not my whole life)
You're done right?  You really don't need to lose anymore weight.  You really need to stop.
Do you even eat anymore?
I wish I had time to workout like you.  (This absolutely KILLS me because NO, I absolutely do not have time.  But I MAKE time.)
How did you REALLY lose all that weight?  (People want to hear you say you used some kind of proverbial magic pill. They do not want to hear about your healthy eating and hard work at the gym.)
You looked better when you were at *insert random weight here* lbs. Or: I thought you looked prettier before. (Ouch. This one hurts.)

I could go on and on.  Most of the time, people really do mean well and they just think they are saying the right thing.  This does not make them a horrible person.  We just have to let these comments roll off our shoulders and move on.  Just Do You.  Who cares what they think.  They probably do not even know how unsupportive they are being but you have to look past that and just keep it moving.  Turn towards people who are going through a similar journey as you.  Stay positive.



Most of the time, these people who are questioning your fitness journey will be the same ones who will be absolutely shocked when you lose x amount of weight or finish your first half marathon or complete a Tough Mudder course.  They will ask you HOW you did it even though they have witnessed you going to the gym or choosing healthy foods day in and day out.  You just have to laugh at that question at that point.  :)

But the comment of 'I thought you looked prettier before' is one that really stabs you in the heart.  This is going too far and I want you mamas to realize that this is plain rude and uncalled for.  No one deserves to be talked to this way and if anyone says this to you, it may be time to re-evaluate relationships.  Don't let anyone hold you back or bring you down with comments like this.  You don't have time for negativity.  Let it go.   Just Do You.


No comments:

Post a Comment