Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Get It Girl Wednesday: Brazen Racing Summer Breeze Half Marathon Race Recap + Running Form

For my fourth half marathon of the year, I was *determined* to beat my PR (personal record).  My timing for my third half marathon of the year (Seattle RnR) was so far off  from what I was used to getting that I wasn't really sure if I could even get anywhere near the PR.  The last time I beat my PR was over a year ago (and I've ran 5 halves since then).  I was very apprehensive but I wanted to do this once and for all.



So I trained.  And trained some more.  I train with EVERY half I do because I'm so afraid of pushing myself too far and getting injured.  But this time around, I switched things up a little.  This is what I did: 

#1--I changed my diet.  Since starting this blog and really learning about how Christelyn eats clean, it made me realize that it isn't so hard.  And everything she made sounded so good. When we filmed Good Day Sacramento, she opened my eyes even more at all of the healthy foods she had me set up for filming. She inspired me so much.  I dropped white rice.  This was really, really hard for me.  I eat mostly protein, vegetables and fruits now.  I am not on what I consider a super strict diet.  I still have my sugary coffee in the morning.  I had a cronut the other day for the first time!  I have not lost any weight but I do feel lighter on my feet and more energized.  And the lower belly pouch that I've had since I had my first son at 21 years old is shrinking!  I am far off from a 6 pack but I didn't even know getting rid of that pouch was possible.  I thought I was stuck with it for life because I worked out all the time and could never get rid of it.  What finally did it was my diet.  

#2--I used a different training plan.  My go to plan is Hal Higdon's half plan.  This time around I used Jeff Galloway's plan.  The Jeff Galloway plan is a walk/run method.  I didn't follow the plan to a T but I used the basic concept of it.  I think this plan helped me get over a mental plateau I have been on for a year.  At this point in my running, my body could handle the pushing but for some reason, my mind couldn't handle it...or it wasn't mature enough?  I know this might only make sense to other runners but I don't know how else to explain it.  I have heard this before from other runners.  Running can be compared to growth and development stages and you just have to get through these stages and learn in order to go further or improve.  Jeff Galloway's plan helped me do this.

Both of these keys I think helped me PR at the Summer Breeze Race.  

This race takes place in San Leandro, CA.  The start is about 10 mins. from my house with no traffic but Mr. DJ, who was also running the race, and I decided to get there about an hour early.  There is only ONE lane on the street leading into the park where the start/finish line are.  I've ran a race here before and learned my lesson that there is a HUGE traffic jam on the one lane street and traffic can be a hassle.  This is just a head's up for anyone who might be planning to do this race next year!  

Just like at every start of any race, I was nervous.  I don't know if I'll ever be not nervous.  Brazen puts on a great event with food available before and after the race.  But I couldn't eat anything before my race.  I was way too nervous!

I started the race off pretty fast.  I tried to slow down because I didn't want to burn out early but I just naturally kept going back to my 'Miracle Mile' pace and felt good.

Me on the course.  Picture taken by event staff.
I wanted to share this above picture because it highlights what NOT to do.  :)  I have been consciously working hard on my running form and I have gotten better but it really is difficult to break bad habits.  This picture shows that I am definitely a heel striker which I am working on improving.  Studies show that when you heel strike, your leg is extended away from you (vs. being more under your hip), creating a force that could be jarring to your knees and hips (risk for injury!).  Read this article from runcoach.com for more information about this.  Below are some more event pictures showing the running form that I'm trying to master. 

landing on a flat foot.  landing knee is under hip.  Good.

Super tired at this point.  Can you tell? haha.  But notice the foot is not landing on the heel!  Good.

Right before the half way point of this race, I started to feel really tired.  It's an out and back course and the turn around is right near the San Mateo Bridge.  After the turn around, I started to get a second wind as the sweeping views of the peninsula across the bay were so pretty.  I also passed a mom pushing her physically disabled daughter in a modified wheelchair.  I thought if that mom can run this easily, there is no reason why I should give up.  I had to take a few deep breaths and blink some tears away when I saw the mom and daughter.  That mom's strength and perseverance was so beautiful and it inspired me so much to keep my pace up.  I wish I knew her name.

This race is definitely a lot smaller than the Nike races or the Rock and Roll races.  I was by myself for a lot of the second half which was hard for me because I didn't have anyone to follow or focus on to pace me.  I just had to continue to push myself.  I kept looking at my pace on my watch and was becoming a little obsessed and somewhat disappointed when I saw my pace slowing down.  I decided at mile 10 I was not going to look at the watch again.  

By mile 12 I felt like I was done.  I didn't feel as if I was near a PR.  No one I started with was any where near me; I assumed they all finished ahead of me.  All of these negative thoughts.  At mile 12.5, was when I saw Mr. DJ.  He always finishes ahead me and but always returns to the course to see me through the last half mile.  I swear I was going to start walking had I not seen him.  I really needed that push of someone running with me to pace that last half mile.  It's like having someone carry you through but not actually carrying you.  What would I do without my better half?!  


As I came to the finish line, and looked at the big ol' clock, it said 2:09:13.  Or something like that. I can't remember exactly but all I remember was that it was under 2:10 which was my goal!!  I felt that I ran so slowly during the second half of the race that it couldn't possibly be right.  So I didn't even celebrate my PR until I got home and looked online at the results.  haha.  Mr. DJ kept telling me the clock/timing was accurate but I just could not believe I accomplished my goal.

Like I've mentioned. this race isn't a big race with a ton of participants but it's always nice to see your name in the top 20 isn't it?   :)


Mr. DJ and I, post race

I realized a lot of our #fitfam was also at this race.  But I didn't know until I got home and saw all of the pictures online on everyone's IG and FB!  If you guys ever see me at a race, please come over and say hello!  I would LOVE to meet you guys in person and I promise I do not bite.  

No comments:

Post a Comment