Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Get It Girl Wednesday: Dia De Los Muertos Show


I have met so many amazing people on my fitness journey that have given me so many new opportunities to get fit as well as be involved in my community.  One of these opportunities include a recent event I got to participate in called the Dia De Los Muertos "Amor Eterno" show.  This show was a dance showcase with Folklorico Aztlan De Sacramento and Diversity World of Dance and Fitness dancers performing Ball Room, Hip Hop, & Filipino Folk Dance. 





As you guys know, one of the locations I teach Hot Hula Fitness classes at is a dance and fitness studio in the Sacramento area.  One of the co-owners of this studio is also the director of Folklorico Aztlan de Sacramento.  This is the group who organized the show.  One of my colleagues at the studio (Carmel) asked me to be a part of the Filipino folk dancing number.  After trying a lot of different fitness dance/dance classes, I was excited to get back to my Filipino roots and perform the dances of my people.  Plus it was a great way to get active and keep my body moving.  There were practices as well as the actual show.  

I participated in two numbers.  One of them was "Pandanggo sa Ilaw".  This is a graceful dance requiring a lot of balance.  While performing the dance, the girls had real candles in each hand and then another one balanced on the head.  Pandaggo sa Ilaw translates to 'dance in light' in English.  








Pandanggo Sa Ilaw




The other dance we did was called "Carinosa".  This dance is a courtship dance that portray acts of flirtation between a man and a woman.  The dance is a series of steps resembling hide and seek movements.  Us ladies held fans while the men held handkerchiefs.




Carniosa



The costumes for the numbers I was in were made by Carmel.  The costumes were AMAZING.  I was so impressed with how beautiful everyone looked.  Carmel is just amazing.  
The costumes from the other numbers also looked great...










Being in the show was such a great experience.  It was an honor being a part of this beautiful show and meeting so many amazing people.  If you live in the Sacramento area, definitely think about checking this show out as it happens yearly.  It is a great family event that is a celebration of different cultures, dance and music.  

backstage with my girls
                                                                                                             Miyah, my silly lil love <3


My family after the show.

Ballroom instructor, Bernard Abero


Hip Hop instructor, Wrendell Crisologo

Filipino Folk dance instructor, Carmel Crisologo
                                                                                                               

No comments:

Post a Comment