Thursday, January 9, 2014

Be Fit Series: Wall Sits

Click here for more information about our Be Fit Series.  



Wall sits are a great exercise to add to your workout routines. This is an exercise that targets more than one area, perfect for our busy mamas with very little time. It mainly strengthens your quads, where you will feel most of the burn but it also targets a lot of your core (hamstrings, glutes + abs). 

Strengthening your quads can also help prevent knee issues. Runner's knee=weak quads + tight hamstrings and calves. I suffered from runner's knee within the first six months that I started running.  My leg strength could not keep up with my drive and determination.  So no matter what I did that pain really made me hit a wall.  It wasn't until I did a TON of research that I figured out what the issue was: weak leg muscles.  So I did a bunch of different exercises that work out ALL the muscles in the quads so that they are all equally strong and it worked....no knee pain since.  One of those exercises is the wall sit. 

Stand with your back against the wall. As you bend your knees, slide your back down the wall until your knees make a 90 degree angle. Your thighs should be parallel to the floor. Take care that your knee does not go over past your toes; you may need to re-adjust to avoid this. Hold this move for 30-60 seconds. Rest and repeat x3. If you can't hold for 30 secs., try putting your knees at a 45 degree angle and then progressively go lower every week. There are different things you can to do make this even more challenging as well. Hold weights to your chest or rest them on your thighs. Or lift one foot off the floor and hold (this will really work out your calves!).

No comments:

Post a Comment